Situational Awareness – Emergency Notifications and Timely Warnings
- Public information and warnings are essential to the safe operations of EKU.
- Do not count on others to keep you safe; it is the responsibility of all EKU faculty/staff to be aware of their surroundings and to be prepared to act appropriately if an emergency situation were to arise.
- Register to be a recipient of the EKU Alerts emergency notification system.
- [Note: Current EKU employees, and registered EKU students, are automatically enrolled in Rave Mobile Safety – Emergency Notifications. Other community members and visitors may SMS (Text) to Opt-In.]
- Be informed. Text “EKUAlerts” to 67283 (MRAVE), 226787 (CAMPUS), 78015, or 77295.
- EKU Alerts is the University’s system for notifying EKU students, faculty, and staff in the event of a disaster, or other emergency, that takes place on campus. Emergency information and instruction may be sent using one or all of the following methods:
- Text message to your cell phone.
- Email notification to your EKU email account.
- Voice call/audio message to a cell phone or other telephone.
- Indoor notification systems (Computer Pop Ups and Alert Beacons).
- Designated EKU websites: (EKU Main, Police, Emergency Mgmt Websites, Facebook, and Twitter).
- Outdoor notification system (Sirens).
- Understand the importance of your role in making this plan work effectively.
- If you receive an EKU Alert, you may share the information with others around you. Notify the EKUPD if you need help, have relevant information, observe suspicious activity, or need to report an event that is taking place.
- Review your contact information in RAVE by going to myEKU and locating the RAVE Emergency Notifications link under the EKU Links Card.
Rave does not charge subscribers to send or receive text messages. Standard or other messaging charges may apply depending upon your wireless carrier plan and subscription details. Once registered, you can opt out of text messages at any time. Texting "STOP" to any of the short codes will cancel alert messages. Texting "START" to any of the short codes will resume/reinstate the alert messages. STOP and START are not case sensitive.
Eastern Kentucky University Police Department (EKUPD) is open 24 hours a day. All fires or other emergencies on the Richmond Campus should be reported as soon as possible by dialing 911 from any campus telephone or, if by cell phone, 859-622-1111. Deaf or hard of hearing individuals may access the Department's TDD by calling 859-622-6279 and/or they may text message someone who can inform authorities. You may also contact EKUPD through the EKU S.A.F.E. App. Be sure to specify where you are; whether you are on EKU’s campuses, and your exact location.
Note: If the reporting party is located on the EKU Richmond Campus and uses a campus phone, dialing 2-1111 or 911 will achieve a direct connection with the EKUPD Dispatcher. The EKUPD Dispatcher will notify and coordinate any outside resources needed for assistance:
- Richmond Fire/Rescue Department
- Madison County Emergency Medical Services
- Richmond Police
- Madison County Sheriff
- Kentucky State Police
- Others that may apply
If you are off the EKU Richmond Campus, report all fires or other emergencies, by dialing 911, as soon as possible.
Calling 911 from your cell phone may connect you with the Madison County Dispatch Center, or other appropriate Dispatch Center based on your physical location. The 911 Dispatch Center you reach will notify and coordinate the resources you need (e.g. Police, Fire/Rescue, Emergency Medical Services) for the location you are in. Again, always be sure to specify where you are; whether you are on EKU’s campuses, and your exact location.
You can program the EKUPD 859-622-1111 and 911 telephone numbers into your mobile devices to ensure quick access to this resource when needed.