SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
Severe thunderstorms are likely to occur. Watch the sky and stay tuned to NOAA weather radio, commercial radio, or television for information.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property to those in the path of the storm.
- Seek inside shelter, in the best available area for refuge.
- Consider the following:
- Move to the lowest level of a permanent structure.
- Close windows and doors.
- Seek interior rooms on the lowest floors possible without windows and outside wall exposure (interior hallways, restrooms, classrooms, offices, etc.).
- Avoid single story wide-span roof areas such as auditoriums, gymnasiums, cafeterias, etc. if at all possible. If located in a structure of this nature stay away from the outside walls and windows.
- Attempt to stay calm and follow instructions being communicated through EKU Alerts and other media outlets.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- Remain sheltered until the severe weather warning has expired.
- Observed damage may be reported to Facility Services at 859-622-2966.
IF YOU ARE IN A FOREST
Seek shelter in a low area under a thick growth of small trees.
IF YOU ARE IN AN OPEN AREA
Go to a low place such as a ravine or valley. Be alert for flash floods.
IF YOU ARE ON OPEN WATER
Get to land and find shelter immediately.
IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE YOU FEEL YOUR HAIR STAND ON END (indicates lightening is about to strike)
Squat low to the ground on the balls of your feet. Place your hands over your ears and your head between your knees. Make yourself the smallest target possible and minimize your contact with the ground. Do not lie flat on the ground.